Skip to main content

Mountains and Walls

I feel like I’m on a mountain of sorts. Which is fitting since we’re talking about the Seven Mountains of Influence at church camp this week. Oh…you didn’t know I was doing church camp this week? I suppose that bit of ignorance could be attributed to the fact that I haven’t blogged in, um, almost forever. Sorry, y’all! It’s been a busy time, but it’s also been of time of evaluating why I blog and what the original purpose of this blog is. I don’t know if y’all remember, but the very reason I started a blog was to share with others what God is doing in my life. I think somewhere along the way I lost that, but now I want to come back to it. Not that there won’t be fun, rambling posts at times about the cute things the kids in my life say or stuff my dog does or just the normal weirdness of our family. But my focus is going to be on what God is teaching me and how He is working.

Which brings me back to church camp. :) This is not your ordinary church camp (I wonder if RFF has ever done anything in an ordinary fashion?). First of all, because the format is more of a day camp held at the church building—we have stuff going from 9am to 4pm, and then 7-9ish in the evening. But the bigger difference is the people and their focus in this camp. We’re not here to goof off and just have fun (though believe me, we are having FUN!); we’re here to learn, to grow, to influence, to pass on a legacy of faithfulness, to become equipped as warriors in the army of God. The theme of the camp is the Seven Mountains of Influence: education, family, government, religion, media, commerce, and arts/entertainment. These are the seven main areas of influence in a culture. Slowly, bit by bit, we as believers have given these mountains over to the world—and our goal is take them back. Like King Josiah in 1 Kings 22 & 23, we want to tear down the idols, take back the high ground, and restore our nation to a culture of Godly worship. And during this camp, we are being trained not only to fight to take the mountains, but also to equip others to join us.

The whole camp has been great so far, but my favorite part to this point is, hands down, the worship service we had tonight. At 23, I’m the oldest young person in the camp. Tonight, I stood surrounded by young people—among whom the average age is 16—and listened and watched as they worshipped God with their whole hearts; as they fell on their faces before Him and cried out with tears running down their faces; as they prayed out loud with boldness and confidence and a heart that burned with passion for God alone. And I knew—there is hope for this generation. For my generation. God is raising up a remnant that will fight for Him as long as He gives us breath, and it is an amazing thing to not only watch, but to get to participate! I cannot help but stand in absolute awe of Him!

As we prayed, in my heart and mind I could see a wall; a wall of young warriors, standing strong and proclaiming to the oncoming tide of sin, “You will go no farther! We have a drawn a line; enough! We, standing in the strength of Almighty God, will stem the tide and push it back!” After the time of worship and prayer, Pastor Joe spoke briefly about being set apart for God and being anointed. He then had all of us young people come stand in the front where he was going to pray for us and anoint us with oil as something that is set apart for God. He asked us all to stand in a line, and as we stood there, I realized: we had a formed a wall.

Father, I pray that as You call Your people to their place in the wall, that we would step up and stand strong in Your power and might, that there would be no breach in the wall You are building. Help us to follow only You, knowing when to stand and when to push forward. You are so amazing, God, and I am so excited as I watch You at work!

Comments

Kelly Ranae said…
Haley,
I love the passion you have for the Lord, and it encourages me more than I can ever say to see how much you love Him and are committed to following Him wherever He leads, through whatever battles lie ahead. Press on, ever closer to Your Father's heart! I love you...

Popular posts from this blog

Sex & "the good Christian single"

 Yep. Buckle up, we're going there. This post might get a little uncomfortable, but it's a topic that can't exactly be ignored! And, as I said at the beginning of this little "series" earlier this year, "my goal is to be uncomfortably honest, vulnerable, real, raw." Besides, the world is talking about sex all the time , and if we as Jesus-followers don't talk about it from a Jesus-perspective, the world is going to shape the views and opinions of sex for an entire generation. Or two. Or more.  Let's start with some basic statements just for the sake of clarity: 1. Sex is God's idea, and it is good.  All through the Bible, from Adam & Eve being "naked & unashamed" in the garden of Eden (Genesis 2), to the graphic love poetry of Song of Solomon, to Paul exhorting husbands and wives to freely share their bodies with one another in 1 Corinthians 7, the Bible paints a picture of sex within marriage being good, beautiful, encourag

Six Flags!

Some would no doubt consider it a strange "Sabbath kick-off", but for me a trip to Six Flags Over Texas (in Arlington) was just the ticket! Between my love of roller coasters, the nostalgia this place holds, and the healthy benefits of fresh air and sunshine, it was fantastic. Oh, and the company was pretty great, too. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to have my "OG Six Flags fam" along--aka, my family and the Vests, of course! Six Flags has always been about facing and overcoming fear for me. I was a very fearful/timid child, and as an adult looking back I think one of the best things my parents did for my little anxious self was take me to ride roller coasters!! (I would insert the "tears of joy" emoji here if I could!) I was coaxed and cajoled on to rides I was hesitant about, but never forced to ride anything--though I waited in every line with them and I was not allowed to complain. Every year, there were rides where

oh, look! it's a blog!

I really thought I was going to do better at blogging this month. Ha! I have a post in my drafts section that I started two weeks ago, but there it sits. It's going to require more time and thought to finish than I have at this moment, so it will have to wait. However, it IS going to get finished and posted at some point! :) Today, for most of the day it's just Jonathan and I here at home. Weird, huh? Daddy, Micah, and Josiah are at a men's retreat/camp-out with the church, and Momma had to work today. So, Jonathan and I are hanging out (read: cleaning house and putting the new sheets on the beds and icing cupcakes :) ). This evening, there is a "praise for pro-life" thing at a church here in Springtown that we're planning to go to. It's a fundraiser for a pregnancy center. (October 24, 6 pm, Outreach of Love church on Hwy 199 in Springtown, admission is a baby bottle full of change...just in case anyone wanted to know!) Tomorrow after church, we're ha