Skip to main content

Interesting Experience...

Just a quick post, just because I had a kinda interesting experience today. I usually leave those to my sister, who works in an ER, has been to two different countries (Taiwan and Bolivia) and tends to create interesting experiences wherever she goes anyways, but I guess today it was my turn.

I was just walking through Walmart, just there to grab a couple things real quick and head on to other errands, when suddenly the electricity went out. You could hear a collective gasp all through the store! Kind of funny, really. The lights flickered back on for a moment then went out again. It was not totally dark in the store, thanks to the skylights, but it got eerily quiet for a few seconds before conversations resumed, children started crying, and people went back to gathering whatever it was they were there to get. I guess we all figured the electricity would be back on any minute.
Fifteen minutes later, there were long lines at the checkouts (where, of course, they couldn't check anyone out) and people were already leaving in droves, abandoning a LOT of baskets for the poor Walmart employees to have to deal with. The *lucky* customer service people started walking through to tell people that they had no idea how long the electricity would be out, all they knew was that a transformer was out somewhere. :P They were really sweet and told everyone they could just leave their baskets if they didn't want to wait. I still feel sorry for them, having to go through and put all that stuff back! Normally I wouldn't have been in a hurry and would have hung around a while, but I still had other errands to run and people at home waiting for me to get back, so I had to go.
Now, the Midland Walmart is a crazy place at any time, but getting out of the parking lot today was quite the experience! There were lines of cars waiting to turn out of the parking lot. And apparently, the electricity problem was not confined to Walmart; the traffic lights were also out, adding to the general confusion. Thank God for policemen! :D They were directing the traffic, and doing a great job of it, but it still required a little more patience than usual getting back onto the loop. A bit later, en route to the next place I had to go, I passed Walmart again and the parking lot was almost EMPTY--that never happens here in Midland! Chick-fil-A, which is right next to Walmart, was also closed down due to lack of electricity.
I don't know how long it was out, but when I drove back by nearly two hours later, everything was back to normal.

One thing that impressed me throughout all of this was how nice everyone was being. I didn't hear anybody getting real upset or griping at the people who couldn't do anything about it anyway or anything like that. Those who didn't have time to wait simply and quietly left. And the employees stepped up to the plate with patience and diligence, tackling the colossal task of putting all those baskets of stuff back and politely passing on what information they had to the clueless customers. What great attitudes! :D
I was challenged--the next time things don't go my way, how will I respond? I hope with the same patience, understanding, and general good will I saw today, with a Christ-like smile on my face! :D

Comments

Anonymous said…
That would be interesting! I guess we always think of places like Wal-mart having generators or something so power outs don't affect them.....at least that's what I would have thought. (and for a quick post that had a lot of words in it.... ;-)
RejoicingComet said…
Yeah, I would have thought they'd have generators or something too. But apparently not!
And you know me..."quick" means Jude-length as opposed to 1 John! :D

Popular posts from this blog

Sex & "the good Christian single"

 Yep. Buckle up, we're going there. This post might get a little uncomfortable, but it's a topic that can't exactly be ignored! And, as I said at the beginning of this little "series" earlier this year, "my goal is to be uncomfortably honest, vulnerable, real, raw." Besides, the world is talking about sex all the time , and if we as Jesus-followers don't talk about it from a Jesus-perspective, the world is going to shape the views and opinions of sex for an entire generation. Or two. Or more.  Let's start with some basic statements just for the sake of clarity: 1. Sex is God's idea, and it is good.  All through the Bible, from Adam & Eve being "naked & unashamed" in the garden of Eden (Genesis 2), to the graphic love poetry of Song of Solomon, to Paul exhorting husbands and wives to freely share their bodies with one another in 1 Corinthians 7, the Bible paints a picture of sex within marriage being good, beautiful, encourag

Six Flags!

Some would no doubt consider it a strange "Sabbath kick-off", but for me a trip to Six Flags Over Texas (in Arlington) was just the ticket! Between my love of roller coasters, the nostalgia this place holds, and the healthy benefits of fresh air and sunshine, it was fantastic. Oh, and the company was pretty great, too. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to have my "OG Six Flags fam" along--aka, my family and the Vests, of course! Six Flags has always been about facing and overcoming fear for me. I was a very fearful/timid child, and as an adult looking back I think one of the best things my parents did for my little anxious self was take me to ride roller coasters!! (I would insert the "tears of joy" emoji here if I could!) I was coaxed and cajoled on to rides I was hesitant about, but never forced to ride anything--though I waited in every line with them and I was not allowed to complain. Every year, there were rides where

oh, look! it's a blog!

I really thought I was going to do better at blogging this month. Ha! I have a post in my drafts section that I started two weeks ago, but there it sits. It's going to require more time and thought to finish than I have at this moment, so it will have to wait. However, it IS going to get finished and posted at some point! :) Today, for most of the day it's just Jonathan and I here at home. Weird, huh? Daddy, Micah, and Josiah are at a men's retreat/camp-out with the church, and Momma had to work today. So, Jonathan and I are hanging out (read: cleaning house and putting the new sheets on the beds and icing cupcakes :) ). This evening, there is a "praise for pro-life" thing at a church here in Springtown that we're planning to go to. It's a fundraiser for a pregnancy center. (October 24, 6 pm, Outreach of Love church on Hwy 199 in Springtown, admission is a baby bottle full of change...just in case anyone wanted to know!) Tomorrow after church, we're ha