Skip to main content

Something to think about...

It's been a long time since I've done a "something to think about" post! Mostly because I've been having a little difficulty getting my thoughts from the "thought" stage to the "word" stage. But they just keep swimming around in my head, percolating away, driving me crazy as they send my brain in a million ways all at once. So I'm going to try to scribble some of them out and hope they are somewhat clearer than mud sensible.

Passion. The word is such a powerful one, resounding with strength and, for lack of a better word, excitement. It has always stirred very deep feelings and longings in me--I want to be a passionate person, driven by an all-consuming desire to love and live for God. I want to want Him more than anything. But that's just the problem: I usually feel like it stops with "wanting". I just want to be passionate, I don't actually live passionately.

Yesterday at church, Pastor Joe told this story of a time they were singing a song with a line that was something like, "I just want to worship You". He came up and said they should stop singing it, because it was lie; if they were truly obsessed with Christ, it would show in their life. That really struck a chord (or maybe it was a nerve...) with me! "Passion" is not just a word, it's not just a prayer, it's a way of life!

These days, I find myself often surrounded by a group of young people whose passion makes my own tendency toward apathy, complacency, and lukewarm-ness even more glaringly obvious (to me, anyway!). Most of the young people on the Peculiar Party Ministry Team are after God's heart, and it is evident in what I've seen of their life. They make me want to want God more! It makes me stop to wonder--when people look at my life, what is it that they see? What would someone on the outside looking in say that I was passionate about? Are they driven to seek God's face because of what they see in me?

I will never be some kind of really bubbly, extroverted, bouncy sort of person, but that doesn't have to make me any less sold out for God. Mine may be a more quiet sort of passion, but that doesn't mean it's a lesser passion. I want to live my life driven by a desire for God, totally obsessed with Jesus Christ and Him alone. Everything else--it's just fluff.

Magnificent Obsession
by Steven Curtis Chapman
Lord, You know how much
I want to know so much
In the way of answers and explanations
I have cried and prayed
And still I seem to stay
In the middle of life’s complications
All this pursuing leaves me feeling like I’m chasing down the wind
But now it’s brought me back to You and I can see again
(chorus)
This is everything I want
This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession

So capture my heart again
Take me to depths I’ve never been
Into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy
Return me to the cross
And let me be completely lost
In the wonder of the love
That You’ve shown me
Cut through these chains that tie me down to so many lesser things
Let all my dreams fall to the ground until this one remains:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex & "the good Christian single"

 Yep. Buckle up, we're going there. This post might get a little uncomfortable, but it's a topic that can't exactly be ignored! And, as I said at the beginning of this little "series" earlier this year, "my goal is to be uncomfortably honest, vulnerable, real, raw." Besides, the world is talking about sex all the time , and if we as Jesus-followers don't talk about it from a Jesus-perspective, the world is going to shape the views and opinions of sex for an entire generation. Or two. Or more.  Let's start with some basic statements just for the sake of clarity: 1. Sex is God's idea, and it is good.  All through the Bible, from Adam & Eve being "naked & unashamed" in the garden of Eden (Genesis 2), to the graphic love poetry of Song of Solomon, to Paul exhorting husbands and wives to freely share their bodies with one another in 1 Corinthians 7, the Bible paints a picture of sex within marriage being good, beautiful, encourag

Six Flags!

Some would no doubt consider it a strange "Sabbath kick-off", but for me a trip to Six Flags Over Texas (in Arlington) was just the ticket! Between my love of roller coasters, the nostalgia this place holds, and the healthy benefits of fresh air and sunshine, it was fantastic. Oh, and the company was pretty great, too. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to have my "OG Six Flags fam" along--aka, my family and the Vests, of course! Six Flags has always been about facing and overcoming fear for me. I was a very fearful/timid child, and as an adult looking back I think one of the best things my parents did for my little anxious self was take me to ride roller coasters!! (I would insert the "tears of joy" emoji here if I could!) I was coaxed and cajoled on to rides I was hesitant about, but never forced to ride anything--though I waited in every line with them and I was not allowed to complain. Every year, there were rides where

oh, look! it's a blog!

I really thought I was going to do better at blogging this month. Ha! I have a post in my drafts section that I started two weeks ago, but there it sits. It's going to require more time and thought to finish than I have at this moment, so it will have to wait. However, it IS going to get finished and posted at some point! :) Today, for most of the day it's just Jonathan and I here at home. Weird, huh? Daddy, Micah, and Josiah are at a men's retreat/camp-out with the church, and Momma had to work today. So, Jonathan and I are hanging out (read: cleaning house and putting the new sheets on the beds and icing cupcakes :) ). This evening, there is a "praise for pro-life" thing at a church here in Springtown that we're planning to go to. It's a fundraiser for a pregnancy center. (October 24, 6 pm, Outreach of Love church on Hwy 199 in Springtown, admission is a baby bottle full of change...just in case anyone wanted to know!) Tomorrow after church, we're ha