Skip to main content

Happy Valentine's Day (the *digital* way)

OK, so after a month of not blogging (sorry, y'all!), I thought I would share our Valentine's Day with everyone. Because y'all so care, right?! ;)
My parents are in San Antonio this weekend so my mom can study for her NARM test (to be a licensed midwife) that takes place on Wednesday. So...this afternoon, Amber and I got this text from Daddy:

Oh me, oh my--what can we say?
We didn't forget it's Valentine's Day!
We thought we would celebrate the digital way!
So gather together, do not dismay.
Text us back when you're all ready to play.

So we all got together and replied:

Gathered in the living room
Awaiting our impending doom. ;)

And this was the next text:

The clues will come one at a time
To get the next one, you have to rhyme.
So turn on your brains, get ready to look
It's DIGITAL V-day, so go check _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

So we all went rushing to Facebook. Sure enough, Momma's status update said:

(See it here)
Robert & Kelly are playing a Valentine game.
Others are too, you know your name.
If you're one of those, don't keep looking all night,
The next digital clue is on our family _ _ _ _ _ _ _!


Amber beat me to the family website, but I found what we were looking for: in the sidebar on the left was a link to "Digital Valentine's Day".

There’s a well known fact about this family of ours,
We can tell stories for hours and hours.
There is one subject that comes up, almost without fail,
To find out what it is, send me an _ _ _ _ _!

Below this was a form to send them an email. So, we filled it out to fire one off...and got this in response:
It's movies of course! You probably guessed.
Of this crew we would expect nothing less.
But for now what you need is a digital clue.
You can find the next one here on _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

This was accompanied with a link to this YouTube video:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu4Ha_ANoS4)

Which, of course, sent us running to the garage where, in a tub labeled "Boy's 5" that holds spiral notebooks (ha, ha), we found....those so very yummy sugar cookies from Walmart with pink, red, or white icing on them. :)
Then our brains started searching for a creative way to send our parents a "thank you" and "Happy Valentine's Day" of our own. We decided to do a video. While we were trying to upload said video, we got a text from Mom and Dad asking if I'd gotten the e-mail with the final clue, so Amber sent them a text that said:
She checked her inbox and there she found
A video that had no sound.
Once we solve tech problems, you will see
The results of our creativity!


The video finally uploaded and we sent an e-mail to our parents, titled "A clue for you!", which read:
The difficulties are resolved
All your clues we now have solved.
So now we have one just for you--
Check it out at _ _ _ _ _ _ _ !

With a link to our own YouTube video:


(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eomheBzfTU0)

And, to finish it off, we got this text from Daddy:

Some parents never get to see
Their children's spontaneous creativity.
But on this digital Valentine's Day,
Our children did it a special way!
You guys are so special and always so cool,
And a look at those cookies made our mouths drool!
Thanks! We love you too!


And that was our Valentine's Day! :) Happy Valentine's Day to you, too! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex & "the good Christian single"

 Yep. Buckle up, we're going there. This post might get a little uncomfortable, but it's a topic that can't exactly be ignored! And, as I said at the beginning of this little "series" earlier this year, "my goal is to be uncomfortably honest, vulnerable, real, raw." Besides, the world is talking about sex all the time , and if we as Jesus-followers don't talk about it from a Jesus-perspective, the world is going to shape the views and opinions of sex for an entire generation. Or two. Or more.  Let's start with some basic statements just for the sake of clarity: 1. Sex is God's idea, and it is good.  All through the Bible, from Adam & Eve being "naked & unashamed" in the garden of Eden (Genesis 2), to the graphic love poetry of Song of Solomon, to Paul exhorting husbands and wives to freely share their bodies with one another in 1 Corinthians 7, the Bible paints a picture of sex within marriage being good, beautiful, encourag

Six Flags!

Some would no doubt consider it a strange "Sabbath kick-off", but for me a trip to Six Flags Over Texas (in Arlington) was just the ticket! Between my love of roller coasters, the nostalgia this place holds, and the healthy benefits of fresh air and sunshine, it was fantastic. Oh, and the company was pretty great, too. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to have my "OG Six Flags fam" along--aka, my family and the Vests, of course! Six Flags has always been about facing and overcoming fear for me. I was a very fearful/timid child, and as an adult looking back I think one of the best things my parents did for my little anxious self was take me to ride roller coasters!! (I would insert the "tears of joy" emoji here if I could!) I was coaxed and cajoled on to rides I was hesitant about, but never forced to ride anything--though I waited in every line with them and I was not allowed to complain. Every year, there were rides where

oh, look! it's a blog!

I really thought I was going to do better at blogging this month. Ha! I have a post in my drafts section that I started two weeks ago, but there it sits. It's going to require more time and thought to finish than I have at this moment, so it will have to wait. However, it IS going to get finished and posted at some point! :) Today, for most of the day it's just Jonathan and I here at home. Weird, huh? Daddy, Micah, and Josiah are at a men's retreat/camp-out with the church, and Momma had to work today. So, Jonathan and I are hanging out (read: cleaning house and putting the new sheets on the beds and icing cupcakes :) ). This evening, there is a "praise for pro-life" thing at a church here in Springtown that we're planning to go to. It's a fundraiser for a pregnancy center. (October 24, 6 pm, Outreach of Love church on Hwy 199 in Springtown, admission is a baby bottle full of change...just in case anyone wanted to know!) Tomorrow after church, we're ha