Skip to main content

Completely un-themed

I've been scanning the titles of my blog posts recently and have come to the conclusion that there are too many themed, planned ones and not enough random, rambling ones that make blogging so fun. Nor are there any (lately) that really accomplish my original purpose in having a blog--telling you what God is doing in my life these days. So, I'm going to try to fix both those problems. I will ramble. Consider yourself warned. :D

First, let me "classify" a statement I made yesterday in the "Tuesday's Tidbit" post. By calling the information "useless" I simply meant that you will never need it for any practical purpose in life. A game of Cranium or Trivial Pursuit, perhaps, but not much beyond that. Obviously, I find all the "useless" facts that I post on Tuesday's Tidbit very fascinating...that's why I post them. :D I collect tidbits of trivia just like I collect quotes. OK, moving on now... :D

Hmm...life these days. Well, we got the Gaither Vocal Band Reunion DVDs in the mail yesterday. We watched Volume One last night, and it's great!!! I can hardly wait to watch the other one. All of the guys are so incredibly talented--at one point, they pulled together 4 of the guys who had never sung together before (Buddy Mullins, Marsh Hall, David Phelps, and Lee Young) and had them sing "He Touched Me". They were amazing!! And I'm loving the interviews and stories and such, too. All the behind-the-scenes stuff adds so much to the videos! It helps make the artists seem, um, more real and all. Dad was giving me and Mom a hard time last night, because at one point you see Ernie whisper to Doug (oh, yeah--Signature Sound was there, as part of the audience!) and we wanted to know what they said!! We're just odd that way, I guess.

The rest of life just keeps humming along. Time is flying by WAY too fast! I can't believe it's already so close to the end of January. My "little" brother Caleb turned 20 on Saturday. Now that is scary... :D We weren't able to get together actually on his birthday (he lives in San Angelo), but he and Amber are coming here in February so we'll celebrate his birthday (and my parents' 25th anniversary) then.

The other really exciting thing in my life right now deserves its very own blog post, which I'm going to work on tonight and will hopefully get posted tomorrow. So be watching for my latest "this HAS to be God!" story!! :D

OK, factual events aside, let's see if I can kind of summarize what God is doing in my life (besides the "this HAS to be God!" story) so this post doesn't end up being epistle-length. :D

For Christmas, I got a little devotional book called "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. The devotions in it are very short and are written as if it were Jesus talking. It seems like every day there is a sentence or phrase or thought in the day's devotion that is just perfect for me that day. Here are a couple of the ones that have really made me stop and think:

*It is through problems and failure, weakness and neediness that you learn to rely on Me...Thus begins your journey of profound reliance on Me...This is not a path of continual success but of multiple failures.
*Though I have all power in heaven and on earth, I am infinitely tender with you. The weaker you are, the more gently I approach you. Let your weakness be a door to My Presence.
*The more you trust Me, the more I empower you to do so.
*Do not be ashamed of your emptiness. Instead, view it as the optimal condition for being filled with My Peace...I see straight through you, into the depths of your being. There is no place for pretense in your relationship with Me. Rejoice in the relief of being fully understood.

And then today's:
*I want you to be all Mine...Depending on Me may feel like walking on a tightrope, but there is a safety net underneath: the everlasting arms. So don't be afraid of falling.

Well, so much for summarizing... :D I just want to point out the common thread running through all of those bits and pieces: don't be afraid of falling or being weak or needy. God's grace abounds when I am weak, but I want so much to appear strong, so I pretend. I pretend like I have it all together and under control. I'm "fine". You know what "fine" stands for, right? Freaked out, Insecure, Neurotic, and Emotional. :D
I'm learning--slowly--that there is nothing wrong with being weak. There is nothing wrong with failure, nothing wrong with falling down--as long as I fall into His ever-so-strong arms. He will always catch me and carry me through. His grace is always enough. And when I am weak, He is allowed to be strong in my life. When I let my brokenness show, His perfectness shines through. When I am real, failures and all, He can be seen as real to those I come in contact with. I'll finish with one more quote I heard recently:
"Don't waste your life trying to look good. Spend your life making God look good." --John Piper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex & "the good Christian single"

 Yep. Buckle up, we're going there. This post might get a little uncomfortable, but it's a topic that can't exactly be ignored! And, as I said at the beginning of this little "series" earlier this year, "my goal is to be uncomfortably honest, vulnerable, real, raw." Besides, the world is talking about sex all the time , and if we as Jesus-followers don't talk about it from a Jesus-perspective, the world is going to shape the views and opinions of sex for an entire generation. Or two. Or more.  Let's start with some basic statements just for the sake of clarity: 1. Sex is God's idea, and it is good.  All through the Bible, from Adam & Eve being "naked & unashamed" in the garden of Eden (Genesis 2), to the graphic love poetry of Song of Solomon, to Paul exhorting husbands and wives to freely share their bodies with one another in 1 Corinthians 7, the Bible paints a picture of sex within marriage being good, beautiful, encourag

Six Flags!

Some would no doubt consider it a strange "Sabbath kick-off", but for me a trip to Six Flags Over Texas (in Arlington) was just the ticket! Between my love of roller coasters, the nostalgia this place holds, and the healthy benefits of fresh air and sunshine, it was fantastic. Oh, and the company was pretty great, too. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to have my "OG Six Flags fam" along--aka, my family and the Vests, of course! Six Flags has always been about facing and overcoming fear for me. I was a very fearful/timid child, and as an adult looking back I think one of the best things my parents did for my little anxious self was take me to ride roller coasters!! (I would insert the "tears of joy" emoji here if I could!) I was coaxed and cajoled on to rides I was hesitant about, but never forced to ride anything--though I waited in every line with them and I was not allowed to complain. Every year, there were rides where

oh, look! it's a blog!

I really thought I was going to do better at blogging this month. Ha! I have a post in my drafts section that I started two weeks ago, but there it sits. It's going to require more time and thought to finish than I have at this moment, so it will have to wait. However, it IS going to get finished and posted at some point! :) Today, for most of the day it's just Jonathan and I here at home. Weird, huh? Daddy, Micah, and Josiah are at a men's retreat/camp-out with the church, and Momma had to work today. So, Jonathan and I are hanging out (read: cleaning house and putting the new sheets on the beds and icing cupcakes :) ). This evening, there is a "praise for pro-life" thing at a church here in Springtown that we're planning to go to. It's a fundraiser for a pregnancy center. (October 24, 6 pm, Outreach of Love church on Hwy 199 in Springtown, admission is a baby bottle full of change...just in case anyone wanted to know!) Tomorrow after church, we're ha