Skip to main content

Looking Back on 2008

Happy New Year, y'all! :D Wow...I can hardly believe it's 2009!! Remember when the world was going to stop at Y2K? That doesn't seem so long ago--certainly not 9 years!

So, I'm kicking off this new year the way I usually do--looking back on the last one and looking ahead to the year to come. To get started, here's a video of random photos of various events in our year. It had to be seriously condensed to get it short enough to upload on our slow internet connection, so there are quite a few events not represented. Maybe I'll get around to an "addendum" later...for now, here's the video:

If you can't see it, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-6ZVy-qI5Q to watch it!

Looking back on this year, I think the only way to summarize it is: through sunshine and rain, my God is still the same. Whether in the times of laughter on an extended vacation up north or a (colorful) trip to Six Flags, or the pain and heartache of watching our grandfather weaken and go home to heaven, God never changed.
On a more personal note, God's unchangingness has been proven time and again as I alternate between walking with Him and wandering away. In some ways, it's been a bit of a rough year as I've sure seemed to do a whole lot more of the latter than the former. When I'm not walking with God, life is hard and dry and empty, pointless. And it doesn't help anything to know that I've only got myself to blame!! The good news is that, as my favorite line in Casting Crowns' song "Praise You in This Storm" says, "You are who You are, no matter where I am." And who He is is Holy, Merciful, Just, Loving, Powerful and Full of Grace. Part of His unchangingness is that His arms are always open, He is always calling me home.

So, that's last year. What about this year?
My main, over-arching goal for 2009 is this: to be so gripped with the knowledge that God loves me and I am His alone that it becomes a fact that permeates and controls my entire life.

And with that thought, I'll sign off. May the Lord bless you richly in 2009 with His grace and guidance, and may you fall deeper in love with Him every day! Happy New Year! *sending big smiles and lots of hugs to all of you*

Comments

Kelly Ranae said…
I will most definitely join you in that prayer! And I'll pray it for me, too. I love you, Haley Nic!
Anonymous said…
Nice slideshow! Man, I haven't heard that song in a looong time. ;) I always love looking back over the year and all the great memories made! May you have a blessed 2009!
For His Glory said…
Happy New Year! I really enjoyed the slide show. Wow how the boys are growing tall.

Popular posts from this blog

Sex & "the good Christian single"

 Yep. Buckle up, we're going there. This post might get a little uncomfortable, but it's a topic that can't exactly be ignored! And, as I said at the beginning of this little "series" earlier this year, "my goal is to be uncomfortably honest, vulnerable, real, raw." Besides, the world is talking about sex all the time , and if we as Jesus-followers don't talk about it from a Jesus-perspective, the world is going to shape the views and opinions of sex for an entire generation. Or two. Or more.  Let's start with some basic statements just for the sake of clarity: 1. Sex is God's idea, and it is good.  All through the Bible, from Adam & Eve being "naked & unashamed" in the garden of Eden (Genesis 2), to the graphic love poetry of Song of Solomon, to Paul exhorting husbands and wives to freely share their bodies with one another in 1 Corinthians 7, the Bible paints a picture of sex within marriage being good, beautiful, encourag

Six Flags!

Some would no doubt consider it a strange "Sabbath kick-off", but for me a trip to Six Flags Over Texas (in Arlington) was just the ticket! Between my love of roller coasters, the nostalgia this place holds, and the healthy benefits of fresh air and sunshine, it was fantastic. Oh, and the company was pretty great, too. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to have my "OG Six Flags fam" along--aka, my family and the Vests, of course! Six Flags has always been about facing and overcoming fear for me. I was a very fearful/timid child, and as an adult looking back I think one of the best things my parents did for my little anxious self was take me to ride roller coasters!! (I would insert the "tears of joy" emoji here if I could!) I was coaxed and cajoled on to rides I was hesitant about, but never forced to ride anything--though I waited in every line with them and I was not allowed to complain. Every year, there were rides where

oh, look! it's a blog!

I really thought I was going to do better at blogging this month. Ha! I have a post in my drafts section that I started two weeks ago, but there it sits. It's going to require more time and thought to finish than I have at this moment, so it will have to wait. However, it IS going to get finished and posted at some point! :) Today, for most of the day it's just Jonathan and I here at home. Weird, huh? Daddy, Micah, and Josiah are at a men's retreat/camp-out with the church, and Momma had to work today. So, Jonathan and I are hanging out (read: cleaning house and putting the new sheets on the beds and icing cupcakes :) ). This evening, there is a "praise for pro-life" thing at a church here in Springtown that we're planning to go to. It's a fundraiser for a pregnancy center. (October 24, 6 pm, Outreach of Love church on Hwy 199 in Springtown, admission is a baby bottle full of change...just in case anyone wanted to know!) Tomorrow after church, we're ha